What I read in 2016 | KTMY

28 December 2016

What I read in 2016

"You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book" -Dr Seuss

This year I set myself the task of reading 35 books which I have narrowly missed by 3 books! I'm still incredibly pleased that I managed to read 32 books this year and have read a real range of genres and enjoyed just about all of them! 

And this years reading list was...

Follow You Home by Mark Edwards
This book was a page turner. If you like creepy mystery type books, then you'll love this! I actually did a full review after I read it which will give you a lot more information but if you liked Girl on the Train, you'll LOVE this book!

How To Love by Katie Cotugno 
This is one of those books which will make you feel all types of emotions. The book splits between the present day and three years ago and is about two people who fell in love and then he left her, alone and pregnant. It's a real heartwarming book!

Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott
I absolutely love this series of books by Rachel Abbott and it's on my 2017 reading list to read all the others in the series. It's another one of those crime thriller books which I absolutely love and is an absolute page turner!

The Aliens Are Coming by Ben Miller
Now this isn't my normal type of book but I really enjoyed it. It's a non fiction book about space and aliens by Ben Miller (yes, the actor/tesco advert man) and it's really interesting. I actually went to see him talk about this book, and got to meet him, and it was such a good experience! If you have any interest in space, this is a really good book to read.

Faceless by Alyssa Sheinmel
I think this could be my book of the year. I absolutely adored this book and really related to it. It's about a girl who is badly burnt and has to have a face transplant and the book focuses on her feelings about it. It was honestly one of the best books I've ever read! I did a full, in depth review of it so you can get more of my thoughts on the book!

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
I love Rainbow Rowell! Her style of writing is so enjoyable to read. However, this book wasn't what I expected it to be and I honestly didn't really like it that much. The book is about the book featured in her novel FanGirl and is a bit of a knock off from Harry Potter. I get why she wrote it, for fans of Fangirl who wanted to know more about the book, and I still enjoyed her writing but I couldn't help but draw comparisons to HP and the whole fan shipping of Harry and Draco the whole time I was reading it.

In A Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
Another creepy thriller type book which I couldn't put down!  It involves a hen do with an estranged friend in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a forest...we all know that shit is going to go down in this kind of situation. I loved how the aftermath of the event was mixed with the build up but you didn't know what actually happened till the end, much like the protagonist. Well worth a read if you like suspense books!

Am I Normal Yet? By Holly Bourne 
This is the first book in the Spinster Series (I've since read all three!) and they are possibly one of the first book series where I see the characters and can fully see myself and my friends in them. Am I Normal Yet focuses on Evie who has mental health issues (she has OCD) and is about her and her new two friends starting to understand feminism and starting a feminist group. Whilst they're doing this, Evie has an OCD relapse, but her friends know nothing about it. I really recommend this book to everyone and anyone because it gave me much more understanding of OCD and feminism and is such a good read as well!

How Hard Can Love Be? By Holly Bourne
The second book in the spinster series and focuses on Amber who goes to see her mum who now lives in America. Her mums new partner runs a summer camp and Amber helps out. This is such a good summer read and I can't recommend it enough!

The List by Siobhan Vivian
This book is set in a high school where the first week of the school year, a list is put-up with the prettiest  girl in each year and the ugliest girl in each year. I found this book quite interesting and found the format of it to be really enjoyable to read. Each chapter is from the point of view of one of the girls on the list and shows you how their lives intertwine and how being on the list effects them.

The Missing by CL Taylor
This book is about a boy who goes missing and follows the police and his family trying to find him. If you haven't already guessed it, I love mystery books like this and the suspense which they have!

Always With Love by Giovanna Fletcher
Giovanna Fletcher is one of my favourite authors and I was so pleased that she'd written another Billy and Me book because I absolutely adore the characters in it! It's such a warm, mushy, feel good book which I love to read!

Summer at Rose Island by Holly Martin
I got into this book series when I read the Christmas book last year and when I saw there was more about this little town, I had to read them! The books are set in this little sea side town and this one was about new girl to the town Darcy and the man who keeps himself to himself in the light house, Riley. This is another one of those chick lit books which I love and I really like how there are little mentions to the characters which were featured in the other books set in the town.

Think Twice by Sarah Mlynowski
This is the second book about a group of teenagers who can hear peoples thoughts. I found the premise of the book to be really interesting however I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the last book - maybe it's because too much time had passed and I'd forgotten the last book a bit, or maybe I'm a bit to old to read this now but it was still an okay book!

If I was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
I found this book so enjoyable and original. It's about a girl who moves to a new town to live with her dad because she used to be a boy and was bullied at her old school. I thought this was such an eyeopening book about being transgender and the difficulties it can bring.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
This book had such a plot twist nearer the end and I love books like that! I thought it was going to be a chick lit kinda book BUT I WAS SO WRONG! And has this seemingly perfect life but as you go on through the book, you realise all is not what it seems and something major happened when she was at school. I'm going to eave it at that because I don't want to spoil it for anyone!

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
Morgan Matson writes such good YA books and I love to read them in the summer when I'm on holiday. This book is about a girl who is a politician's daughter who basically raised herself because her dad was always busy. This book is about her summer which definitely didn't go as she thought it would be; her dad was at home, there was a lot of dog walking and a guy who lasted more than three weeks!

Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman
Skye has been sent to a summer camp for troubled teens after her sister dies in an accident however when she gets to camp, she starts receiving texts form her dead sister and the story goes from there! I actually really enjoyed this book and it was one of those ones which you just couldn't figure out.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
Another Morgan Matson book which I loved and found incredibly moving. The book is about a family who are going on their last holiday as a family as their dad has terminal cancer so they go to their old lake house which they haven't been to in years. I cried so much at this book and loved how it focused more on family and friend love rather than romantic love (though that's in there too!) and it was so moving.

Get Rich Vlogging by Zoe Griffin
If you're interested in starting a youtube channel then this is the one for you! I found it so helpful in setting up my youtube channel and knowing what to do and what not to. It also gave great advice about equipment and software.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling
I had been waiting for this book for so long and was not disappointed. Yes, the story might not have been the best but I love seeing what everyone had been getting up to after the last book had ended and seeing where they'd ended up and the relationships with their children.

What's a Girl Gotta Do by Holly Bourne
The final book in the spinster series and this one is much more focused on feminism.Lottie decided to do a project on calling out everything which is unfair against gender and the book really highlights how much of this stuff is out there in our daily lives and the effects it has on Lottie.

Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines
This book is about a girl who doesn't speak and the captain of the football team who seemingly has it all but is actually dealing with his father dying. They form an unlikely friendship which is really heartwarming.

Hogwarts and Incomplete and Unreliable Guide by JK Rowling
Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies by JK Rowling 
Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists by JK Rowling
I'm putting these three short stories together because I can talk about them all at once! I loved getting further insight into the magical world and seeing just how much JK Rowling has thought about this world and the characters, even the more minor ones!

Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy
This book is about a girl who is diagnosed with Leukaemia and decides to spend her last few months righting wrongs and convinces her best friend Harvey (who is in love with her) to cause mayhem! But then they have to face the consequences of everything which they do.

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough 
I was completely blown away buy this book! It takes so many twists and turns and I'm still not 100% sure what happens at the end. Its about a girl who is found in a river and was dead for 13 minutes before they managed to resuscitate her. The story then follows the aftermath and finding out who actually did it. There are some crazy plot twists in here and is definitely a page turner!

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by JK Rowling
I loved the book and film and really enjoyed seeing a different element of the magical world! The story is about Newt Scamander who is an english wizard who has gone to New York and bought with him a briefcase full of forbidden magical creatures which get lost around New York.

The Art of Breathing by Dr Danny Penman 
You all know I love a good mindfulness book and this is a really short book on breathing and meditation which I really enjoyed. I wrote a full review on it last month which you can read here.

On The Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher
Carrie's debut novel did not disappoint. I was so excited to read it and loved the premise. The book is about Evie who has just died however to pass over she has to tell her three deepest secrets. This book is really original and heartwarming and a really good read. I loved how the book was split into the three secrets and how you went between the present day and the past. A fantastic debut novel, and I can't wait to read more by Carrie.

The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking
Hygge is everywhere and I absolutely adore this book about the danish way of life. Not only is it really informative, it has beautiful pictures! I did a post about the book earlier in the year here.

A Mindfullness Guide For The Frazzled by Ruby Wax
I've just finished reading this book and found it so interesting. I went to see Ruby talk about the book earlier in the year but only just got round to reading it. It's a mix between a factual book about mindfulness, the science behind it and her real life experiences and I think that's what makes the book so interesting. There will be a post about this book early in the new year for you all!

That's what I read this year! Let me know in the comments what you're favourite books of 2016 have been :) 

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Great tips! I'm defnilty going to check them out!
    Happy new year, Isabella isabellaschoice.com x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig