National Smile Month | KTMY

3 June 2016

National Smile Month


May 16 - June 16 is National Smile Month and I thought I'd use this to raise awareness of how important it is to look after your teeth. I've had a lot of work done on my teeth, a lot, and they are definitely something I like to take care of. 


I had over 5 years worth of braces including ones to straighten my teeth, widen the roof of my mouth and pull my jaw forward but it was defiantly worth it because my teeth look a hell of a lot better now (I had a nearly horizontal front tooth at the beginning!). 

I've also suffered from really bad mouth ulcers and sensitive teeth because of my ulcerative colitis and extensive steroid use and it's safe to say that Corsodyl have helped a lot with mouth ulcers and sore gums! Gum disease is very common, but despite 83% of people showing signs of the disease, people are often unaware they have it. Bleeding gums are often an early sign of gum disease, which is a leading cause of tooth loss and a new study has revealed that even though over half of those surveyed said they’ve experienced bleeding gums, only 32% saw their dentist to discuss their symptoms. 

It's so important to go to your dentist regularly and have your six month check ups and trips to the hygienist. I used to be terrified of going to the dentist when I was little (yes, I was one of those biters!)  but after having to go weekly at some points for my braces, I have a great relationship with my dentist and all the nurses at the practice. 

A big tip to any of you on medication, especially if you use steroids, get yourself down to the dentist and let them know what meds you are on. After being on such a high dose of steroids when I was in hospital, my dentist had me go and see him the moment I had any ulcers or notice any change in my gums because the medication I'd had increase the chance of gum disease and weakened your teeth. So definitely get yourself down to the dentist regularly!

If you find that your gums are bleeding, or you have mouth ulcers, I really recommend using corsodyl mouthwash, and the toothpaste, as it's really effective in treating your gums. After using it for a week, I found that my ulcers had almost gone and there was no pain or discomfort which come with them! 



So make sure you look after your teeth so you can wear your smile not only for national smile month but also for the rest of the time too! 

*This post contains samples and is in collaboration with corsodyl. You can read my full disclaimer here

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig