Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2016 | KTMY

8 August 2016

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2016



My birthday was last Thursday and seeing as it coincided with the start of Edinburgh Fringe Festival, me and my mum headed up for the day to see some theatre and comedy and just have a good time! I love Edinburgh and I love the Fringe festival; it's just full of so much creativity and you really never know what you're going to see. We decided not to pre book anything before we went (I couldn't decide what I wanted to see because there was just so much choice!) and would see who gave us flyers and what seemed interesting.


Because we went on preview day (pure coincidence!) the first person to flyer us was Gulliver's Travels and we were given free tickets so we thought why not and went to see it! Because it didn't start a while, we carried on wandering (and been given lots and lots of flyers!) and just as we were about to go for lunch we were asked whether we liked comedy and Harry Potter. Er, just a bit! I think I was a bit too enthusiastic but we ended up going to see a show called PotterVision too which was hilarious!

PotterVision @ Cabaret Voltaire (Cinema Room)


Being just a bit of a Harry Potter fan (fine, okay, huge Harry Potter nerd!) the thought of going to see a funny HP parody ticks every box for a successful show. This show does not disappoint! There are references which any level of fan will get and the comedic timing is perfect. 

The venue, The Cinema Room, is absolutely tiny! We went 15 minutes early and got two of the last seats. I think the capacity is something crazy like 20 people but I can assure you you will be in a tiny room full of people who love Harry Potter and there's something so heartwarming about that. 

To find out more about PotterVision, you can head over to their Facebook page and you can see them at 1pm at Laughing Horse @ Cabaret Voltaire, 36-38 Blair Street (Cinema Room) till the 28th August

Gulliver's Travels @ Pleasance Courtyard, Upstairs


I'm not going to lie, I was really skeptical about going to see Gulliver's Travels purely because I'd been told there were puppets in it and I thought she meant it was a puppet show. It totally isn't a puppet show however the use of puppets is so cleaver and a really imaginative way to show the scale of some of Gulliver's adventures and some of the creatures as well. 

It has light humour, dark humour and some serious bits and was brilliantly written. 

You can find more out about Gulliver's Travels on the theatre company's Facebook page


One of my favourite venues of Fringe Festival is Pleasance Courtyard; it's bursting with colour and vibrance and just has a real good atmosphere! Once we'd left Pleasance Courtyard, we walked to the other side of town and had a little explore and some lunch. 



You never know what you're going to see whilst you're at Fringe Festival and I love seeing the street performers and people all in costume, getting your attention to go and see their shows. It's just really good fun! 

Let me know in the comments whether you've been to Fringe Festival and whether you'd go and see any of these plays! 

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Thanks so much for coming to Gulliver. And for spreading the word. Becca from Familia de la Noche xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a pleasure to see the show! I loved it! xx

      Delete
  2. Oooh I adore this post! I'm heading up too Edinburgh next week for a week of reviewing musical theatre, and I honestly can't wait! Lovely photography on this blog post too. Sounds like you had a great time!

    Charlotte x
    www.talkstageytome.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much musical theatre I wanted to go and see - especially Spring Awakening - but only been there for the day it was hard to fit everything in! Hope you have an amazing time! And thank you for liking my photos; I've been trying my new camera out! xx

      Delete
  3. I love this, I just got back from the fringe yesterday and loved everything about it! You managed to get some good pictures as well. Great blog :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig