Why I'm #VoteRemain | KTMY

22 June 2016

Why I'm #VoteRemain


Tomorrow, June 23rd,  marks a very important day; we choose to stay or leave the EU. Politics is something which really interests me and after studying EU law this year at university, I feel really passionate about the EU referendum and passionately believe in staying in the EU.

I very nearly didn't write this post as I wasn't sure if it 'fit in' with the topics I write about but then I thought why not; some of you may be unsure of all the arguments for the EU, I mean David Cameron has done a good job of scare mongering, but I don't think he's actually given many genuine reasons for why we should stay! Before I get into this, I just want to say that these are my opinions and of course, you are free to make your own mind up on this, but I just want to give my thoughts and maybe help a few of you who are still on the fence.


The EU was created to secure peace within western Europe and create a common market which allows us to easily trade with other EU countries. The EU negotiates trade agreements with the rest of the world and if we left, Britain would have to renegotiate trade deals alone. Barack Obama has already said that the UK won't be able to quickly make a trade deal with them because that's just not how it works! And what if Donald Trump becomes president? Then we have a real problem as he as made it very clear that he's not Britain's biggest fan. While the EU is the world’s largest market, a UK outside the EU would not be a high priority for other counties to negotiate a trade deal and by leaving we may be penalised too. Not that we should be scared into staying in the EU, we should still look at the reality of what might happen if we do leave.

There's going to be a huge constitutional issue if we do leave the EU. We'll have a Prime Minister who wanted to stay in the EU suddenly in charge of a country that isn't there which could quite possibly lead to him not being PM and someone else (most likely Boris Johnson!) becoming the leader of our country. So just think about it when Boris is saying we should leave, he most likely has another motive!

Let's talk about the NHS! I think this is something everyone in the UK feels strongly about and it's been used by both sides of the referendum (mainly leave!) but I wanted to look at it from a remain stance. If we did leave, the UK economy is forcast to go into mayhem basically and shock. If that happens, more resources will have to be taken away from the NHS to cope. Also what about doctors and nurses? Hospitals are already understaffed and I know that when I was in hospital, I had doctors and nurses from all over the EU and the world. From a staffing point of view, can the NHS cope without the extra hands we get? I honestly don't know the answer to this but it's something I've thought about quite a lot!

The biggest debate has been around migration, so would this even be a piece on the EU referendum if I didn't mention it? I've personally felt that the referendum has shed light on a lot of racism and almost made some people believe that it is totally okay to be racist towards other ethnicities. Guess what, that isn't okay at all! We've fought for years to make the world a more tolerant and accepting place and I really think that since this referendum has started, we've taken so many steps backwards and it makes me feel sick at the thought of that. So, under EU law, the UK cannot prevent anyone from another member state coming to live in the country, but that's the same for Britain's going to other member states too; it's a two way street people!

You can't just come though; to be able to reside in another member state for more than 3 months you have to show that you are a worker or self-employed, that you have sufficient resources and comprehensive sickness insurance or be enrolled at private/public establishment for course of study, with sufficient resources and comprehensive sickness insurance (Directive 2004/38 article 7 (1)) Yeah, I'm referencing this stuff now! The inner law student has come out! To be a worker, you have to show that you are performing of service for economic value under direction of another in return for remuneration and if you're a job seeker you can't claim all benefits, I think it's only job seekers, and even then you have to show that you are actively, persistently and sufficiently engaged in looking for a job and you have to have a genuine chance of getting that job too!

Don't get me wrong, the EU has it's flaws, and a lot of them. There's such a democratic deficit (I actually wrote an essay for university on this! If you're interested, you can read it here) and it could definitely be more political, rather than mostly economic, and the member states could support one another more. However, to be at the forefront of change, surely we need to be at the table discussing the changes and shaping the EU to be bigger and better.

Even if we do leave the EU, we are still going to have to have our services, products and produce  a bound by nearly all EU regulations, including the working-time directive and almost everything dreamed up in Brussels in future however we aren't going to have a say in these or be able to debate things and get ourselves a better deal. Are we really gaining any freedom at all?

I'd really like it if you start a bit of a debate in the comments because I'd love to hear what you're thoughts of the referendum are; just be respectful of everyones opinions!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig