Tips for dealing with ostomy odour | KTMY

22 March 2017

Tips for dealing with ostomy odour


Let's be honest, bathroom odours are something we all worry about, whether you have an ostomy or not, but an advantage of having a stoma is that there are a few things you can do to deal with it and put your own mind at rest!

First, let me start my saying that ostomy bags don't smell - no one can actually smell it when you're out and about! I definitely think this is something I worried about at first, but honestly you can't smell it. Stoma bags are actually fitted with filters (I think they're charcoal) to deal with gas and odour so you never smell it (unless you have a bag leak and you can read my tips for them here!). However, the smell worries normally come into play when you're either emptying your bag or if you're doing a full bag change so here are my tips and tricks for dealing with ostomy odour!

Limone Ostomy Deodorant Spray

This spray is a must for anyone with a stoma. It is a simple little deodorant which you spray when you either empty your bag or change it and it completely removes the smell, leaving a fresh lemon sent. What's brilliant about this spray is how it actually does completely remove the smell, rather than covering it up for a while, and its compact size means you can easily keep it in your bag when you're out and about. The spray is available from SecuriCare and CliniMed and you can find out more by ringing SecuriCare (0800 585 125 (new customers) / 0800 318 965 (existing customers)) 

Look at what you're eating

Some foods cause more odour than others and if you are extremely concerned about odour, then you could look at what you're eating (however I don't think you should stop eating foods you like and/or are good for you purely because you're conscious about the smell as there are other options!). Foods which can cause more odour are; 
  • Asparagus
  • Baked Beans
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cod liver oil
  • Eggs
  • Fish
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Peanut butter
  • Some vitamins
  • Strong cheese
It's also key to note that food effects all ostomates differently and food might not effect your bag the same it effects someone else's! 

Peppermint Oil

Now I haven't actually tried this method myself, however I am quite tempted to try to see how it works. I have read many things about putting a few drops of peppermint oil at the bottom of your bag and it will neutralise the smell from your bag. If you've tried this, let me know how you found it! I'm going to try it soon so I will keep you all posted on how it goes! 

So there are some of my tips for dealing with ostomy odour. Let me know what you think of the post and leave your own tips in the comments below because I'd love to know how you all combat it! 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig