What to expect on your first day of university | KTMY

25 August 2016

What to expect on your first day of university


So it's your first day and most likely your first lecture/welcome thing is at 9am Monday morning. You have no clue where you're going and you know no one and it's fair to say you're possibly feeling like you're having an existential crisis. Stop right there; don't panic because everyone is feeling the exact same way.
I don't know if it's the same at all universities, but at mine it seems that only first years are in on that first Monday morning (I could be completely wrong there but as far as I'm aware, that is the case!). Therefore, everyone around you has no clue what they're doing and you're all muddling through this together.

If you're really panicking now about the thought of not knowing what the hell you're going to do on first day, get chatting to people on your course! Have a look and see if there are any Facebook groups for your course and search on twitter. That's how I met some people (heck, I was in a law group chat before I even got there) and I actually chatted to one regularly a few weeks before going. We decided to meet up that morning and walk to uni together and it was really nice to not feel so alone and clueless. It was there that I recognised someone from the group chat and soon enough there was a little group of us muddling our way through the first day.

The first thing you'll do on the first day is most likely get your ID/student card. I uploaded my picture beforehand, like most people, so just had to collect it from the building I was going to have my lectures and workshops in. We basically joined an alphabetical queue and picked them up and then went and found the rooms we were in to meet our tutor group.

Side Note: There will be people around to help you and show you where to go! No one is expecting you to where you're going. There will be people to show you where to go and how to make sense of your timetable.

The first thing I had on my first day was meeting my tutor and tutor group. It was basically an hour of talking to the people I would have all my workshops with and in that hour I found 4 people who quickly became very good friends of mine and we've stuck together through the past two years of uni!

I then started with introductory topic lectures and then just like that, term was over! Those initial nerves will fade pretty quickly and you soon get into the swing of things. Just remember to be yourself and go in with an open mind and you'll be fine!

Good Luck! Let me know in the comments how you deal with first day nerves!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This post just sounds like things that happened on your first day at university. International student support services are here to help with dissertation.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig