5 ways to get get rid of a cold quickly | KTMY

30 March 2016

5 ways to get get rid of a cold quickly


As I write this I am currently on day 5 of my cold and it's almost gone, thank god. I still have a pack of tissues within reaching distance however I can now function normally and can actually taste things and breathe when I sleep which is always a good thing. Because my immune system isn't that great, I am never that far away from catching a cold and I feel like I've become pretty good at fighting these things off pretty quick.



  1. As soon as you get a sore throat, get the Strepsils. If you're anything like me, you're cold starts with a tell tell sore throat. As soon as I feel even the slightest hint of a sore throat, I always go for a strepsil (or other throat lozenge) to try and get rid of it asap. Make sure you actually get a sweet which not only numbs the throat but also has an antiseptic because it will start at getting rid of any infection there might be.
  2. Olbas oil is your best friend. As soon as I get a cold I whip the olbas oil out and begin to have it on a tissue, on my bed sheets, on a cushion which I won't put my head on, maybe a quick sprinkle around my room and then take it into the shower with me and steam it out. As you can see, I'm very reliant on my olbas oil which some of my friends find hilarious. It really helps to clear your nasel passage and I don't know about you, but I quite like breathing out of my nose. My big tip for this though is when you have a shower, take it with you and then turn the water temperature up (don't stand under it if it's going to burn you) and sprinkle a few drops and steam it out for a few minutes. Maybe don't do this if you're throats still really bad because steam and sore throats don't mix well! 
  3. Drink plenty of water/tea. I feel like this is a given and doesn't need to much explanation! You need to keep your hydration up when you've got a cold so water is the best thing. I do find the I have a sore throat that I can't drink as much water and instead drink gallons of decaf tea instead which I find soothes my throat a lot more. 
  4. Moisturise, especially around your nose. Even when I use balm tissues, my nose always gets sore from constantly blowing my nose. Also, being ill often leaves you with really dry skin so moisturising is key and I try and put extra around my nose just to try and ease it! (FYI I talked about my favourite moisturiser in Mondays skincare post)
  5. Have a day of rest. For some people this is probably going to be a lot harder due to work commitments etc but if you can, try and take a day to just chill, catch up on sleep and give your body the chance to fight the cold. 
There are my tips to getting rid of a cold quickly. Leave your tips in the comments below!

*Disclaimer I am not a real doctor, these are just some things I find really helpful! 
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. These are some great tips that I haven't heard of yet! I haven't used olbas oil, but I will definitely try it. Tea is also a MUST when I'm feeling unwell.

    Emma | www.creativexplorations.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig