Beginners tips for painting your nails | KTMY

15 January 2015

Beginners tips for painting your nails


If you read this post then you'll know I struggle with painting my nails. Yesterday I bought the Seventeen Gel effect polish in a nude colour because I love the look of gel nails but last time I had them done professionally, the gel ruined my nails and they're only just back to normal so  I've been practising and decided to give you beginners like me my top tips for painting your nails.



Patience is a virtue : Be patient when you're painting your nails and give each layer time to dry. This is a very hard one for me because I am notorious for half way through painting my nails wanting to go and make a cup of tea or think of half a dozen other things I need to do instantly but trust me, take your time and let them dry! That way you won't get smudges and have to do them half a dozen times

Invest in a base coat and top coat : I feel like this is crucial. Having a good base coat means that the polish goes on much easier and smoother. I use Essie Help Me Grow base coat which not only protects your nails from water damage and staining but also somehow helps your nails grow. I sometimes use this just on its own and gives them a nice natural shine. I'm also using Seventeen's Double Gloss top coat which helps prevent chipping and adds a really nice gloss to it


Layer it up : I used to think that layers were a waste of time. What a stupid thing to think! Layers are crucial and gives a much cleaner and proper finish. I could never understand why my nails looked streaky and it was all because I did't put another layer of polish on. I recommend putting two coats of polish as it gives a non streaky finish but if you have the time or are looking to procrastinate, 3 layers wouldn't hurt! My ideal formula is: 

Base + 1 coat of polish + 1 coat of polish + top coat = clean, non streaky, professional finish

Don't have too much paint on your brush, but don't have too little: If you have a big blob of paint on your nail, it will take ages to dry but likewise, if you have too little paint on the brush, you're more likely to get streaks. Its hard to determine the right amount but I'd say a medium sized blob on the brush

I hope these tips help any of you fellow beginners in the big wide world of nail polish. Please leave your tips below as I desperately need them! 

Katie xo

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig