Yummy Sugar Free Victoria Sponge Cake | KTMY

4 September 2015

Yummy Sugar Free Victoria Sponge Cake


Yes, you read that right; a victoria sponge cake which is sugar free! If you've read my August Favourites or follow me on social media, you'll have already seen this picture and I've had an influx of people asking me for the recipe.



I like to make a sweet treat before the Bake Off however I'm trying (and somewhat failing) to cut down my sugar intake so I thought I'd refer to Davina McCalls 5 Weeks to Sugar Free recipe book to find something to make which would be a bit more healthy.

After seeing how beautiful the cake looked, I'd thought I'd have a go at at the sugar free take on a classic.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how amazing this cake tasted...even my dad who was a skeptic to say the least really enjoyed the cake too which, from a man who loves cake, is a definite complement.

Now for the bit I know you're all here for, the recipe!

INGREDIENTS 

Cake Ingredients
225g butter, softened (and trust me, make sure it's soft! That's where I went wrong and it left me with a much more closed texture sponge, plus it was harder to cream!)
225g wholemeal spelt flour
2 heaped teaspoon baking flour
3 large eggs
225g maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Filling & topping
150g double cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Strawberries...lots and lots of strawberries! (Okay, so I used a tub of fresh ones but Davina says 250g if you want to be precise!)

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/Gas 4 & grease 2 sandwich tins. I recommend using those silicon ones because you don't have to grease them and they're much easier to clean. A win, win situation.

2. Cream the butter until it's really soft. Make sure that it's super soft because it's really hard if you don't...like I said above, it leaves you having a close textured sponge and it's more dense.

3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Whisk it so it's properly combined.

4. Add an egg to the creamed butter, then a couple of tablespoons of flour. Fold the flour in then continue adding the eggs and flour alternately until it's all mixed together. I found a good system of adding an egg and then 2/3 tablespoons; it kept the mixture wet enough to fold but not too wet...if that makes sense.

5. Mix the vanilla essence with the maple syrup, then gently fold it into the cake mixture

6. Separate the mixture into the two baking tins and then bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then you can decorate.

7. For the filling, add the vanilla to the cream and then whisk away. Once you've got whipped cream, spread it across the cake. I added a layer of strawberry jam too and then added the strawberries which I sliced. Put one on top of the other and then voila! You've got cake!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. A sugar free cake?! I have to make this! It looks delicious as well!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds perfect. My dad and I eat way too many sweets so we're also trying to cut down our sugar intake.

    xx Izzy | Qthee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the reason I decided to make it too and it does taste really good :) Hope you enjoy it when you make it

      Katie xo

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig