RECOVERY // 4 months post op | KTMY

26 August 2015

RECOVERY // 4 months post op



Last week marked four months with my ileostomy so I thought I'd do a quick update for you all on how it's going because I feel like I haven't done one of these posts in a while.



Sadly I am no longer medication free, but it was good whilst it lasted! To be fair, I only take iron tablets so it's not too tough on the ol' system. The reason that I'm on them is due to the fact that Mr mucous fistula has decided that he still wants to keep bleeding. Sometimes he does it more some days hardly anything comes out of him! I was getting really tired and getting all my usual anaemic symptoms so I had a blood test and voila!

Speaking of my mucous fistula, he's been causing me a lot of problems which leaks which, when it's your birthday and you're in the middle of town and he decided to leak, can be really disheartening and sucks. On the bright side, I did get a new outfit out of it. The reason for the leak was because my bags decided not to stick to my sin...I don't know if I got a dodgy batch or what but I'm bow trying a new brand so we will see. I'm just glad that it wasn't my stoma!

However, I haven't let been a tad anaemic and bag leaks stop me from doing things! I started going to the gym a little over a month ago and I've sat all my uni exams (which I'm hoping I've passed!). I'm also looking at things to do next summer and if you follow me on twitter you'll have already seen that I'm applying for Camp America next summer to go and work on a summer camp and get to travel around the states! I cannot believe that I'm actually applying because normally I'm one of those people who talks about doing things and not actually doing them but the applications ready to go and I'm just tweaking it so fingers crossed I'll get placed on a camp!



I think one of the reasons that I've decided to apply is down to the counselling I've been having. This isn't actually something I really talk about but after I had my surgery and came home, my anxiety got a lot worse and I was actually diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and Depression. Luckily, I have managed to control it purely with therapy (CBT to be specific) and I have my last session next week which is crazy! But, I can honestly say that I am so much better than I was and I actually feel so happy and I can control my worry a lost better (it's still there a bit but I don't let it effect me like it did). It's like a blanket has been lifted and I finally have my life back after quite a few years of struggling.

My little stoma friend has been working really well though and I've had very little problems (touch wood, touch lots of wood) however I did experience my first blockage which was pretty grim. Luckily, it was only a small blockage and I now know what to do; drink lots of water, tea and coke, have a bath, massage around the stoma etc etc and if you start to be sick, ring your doctor or go to the hospital. Luckily, it didn't get that bad and after 24 hours of no food and doing all of the above, everything started working again and the blockage was gone.

If you've been on my instagram or Facebook page you'll have seen the photo above and might have wondered what I was doing. Well, because I don't like wearing jeans anymore and was looking for more comfy trousers which still looked nice, I started making my own clothes with my mum using my grandmas sewing machine and I'm really pleased with how the things are turning out...I'm legit always wearing my trousers which I make (I'm actually wearing my favourite ones in the picture!)

So that's how my recovery is going. As long as my exams have gone as well as I think they have, I'll be back at uni next month and there's something very exciting happening on the blog which I cannot wait to tell you all about!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig